We live in a health conscious world these days, and especially here in San Francisco, sometimes it’s hard to not feel the pressure to stay on top of it when it comes to clean and healthy eating. We all know that resisting the urge to snack on something less good for you (aka potato chips which I absolutely love!) can be a test of willpower sometimes. I find that if I prepare a large batch of salad mix every week, it helps to keep my healthy train on track. Salad mix is very versatile as well. Don’t feel limited to making just (as the name suggests) salads. Sure, you can make a beautiful salad by simply adding some tomatoes and avocado. Other ways I like to use this mix is to toss a handful of greens into sautés, or wilt a generous heap into a pasta dish. Also, this is perfect for green smoothies. So many ways a pre-prepared salad can make our busy lives healthier, and easier! And did I forget to mention, it’s also pretty cost effective as well!
Equipment needed: Salad Spinner, Mandolin
1 head romaine lettuce
1 bag of mixed greens (6 – 8 ounces)
2 small rainbow carrots
1. Cut the head of romaine lettuce into quarters lengthwise, then finely chop into 1/4 inch wide ribbons. Place into a large bowl.
2. Add the bag of mixed greens to the romaine lettuce.
3. Using a mandolin, thinly slice the carrots and radishes into the bowl of greens.
4. Wash and spin the salad mix in the salad spinner. Store in the refrigerator up to one week.
5. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat your greens!
* Gluten Free / Vegan / Vegetarian
* Mandolin tip: be careful when slicing, you don’t want to accidentally slice your fingers!