In an effort to not deprive my vegetarian and vegan friends of the joy that is sopping wet gravy smothered all over your meal… This simple method of making a meat-less version came to me as I was boiling potatoes. When over-boiled (aka boiled-to-heck), potatoes basically melt away and become a thickening agent due to its high level of starch. So I thought to myself, why not boil a potato in some vegetable stock and see what happens? And sure enough, it worked!
1 russet potato
4 cups vegetable broth
1. Peel and dice the potato into 1/4 inch pieces.
2. Place the potato along with the vegetable stock into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer (stirring occasionally) until the potato has broken down and thickened the stock into gravy (about 20 minutes).
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Pass the gravy through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Press any remaining potatoes through; discard any pieces that won’t easily mash through.
5. Transfer to a gravy boat for serving.
6. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!
* Vegetarian / Vegan / Gluten Free