This is a light and healthy dish I like to make when the spring rolls around. Asparagus is in season and with its abundance comes my joy in eating this vegetable. It may sound like an odd trio, but this threesome of flavors (asparagus, egg, and citrus) makes a great match. The softer texture of egg and yolk work well with the crunch and distinct aroma of asparagus, while the orange lends a freshness that ties the three together.
1/2 pound asparagus
1. Cook the eggs: place the eggs in a small saucepan, fill with enough water to cover the eggs by one inch, cover and bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let stand for ten minutes. Drain eggs, peel and set aside.
2. In a large skillet set over medium heat, sauté the asparagus in one tablespoon of olive oil with a pinch of salt until the stalks are tender, about 7 minutes.
3. Place the asparagus onto a serving plate. Roughly chop the eggs into pieces and place on top of asparagus. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Finish by squeezing the juice from half an orange over the top of everything.
4. Garnish with orange slices if desired.
5. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!
* To prep the asparagus: remove the tough ends simply by snapping them off. The stalks will break naturally at the right point.
* Vegetarian / Gluten Free