Who says a salad has to be green? Here, the purple (also known as red) cabbage is the star of the show. When shaved down into a little nest, the deep purple hues of this hearty vegetable contrast well with the bright orange of the carrot and radish red. Paired with a balsamic dressing, walnuts, and figs, this salad also becomes a contrasting taste of bitter and sweet. I like how the mild bitterness of the cabbage, radish, and walnuts are tempered by the sweetness of carrot and figs, with a little tang from the balsamic.
2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced (depending on size of cabbage, 1/4 – 1/2 of the head)
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Thinly slice the purple cabbage to make about two cups worth. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the carrot into thin strips. Carefully slice the radish into thin discs (use a mandolin if you have one). Place the cabbage, carrot, and radish into a large bowl.
2. In another small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to evenly coat.
3. Place salad onto a serving plate, top with a handful of walnuts and sliced mission figs.
4. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!
* Vegan / Vegetarian / Gluten Free