I love pasta! This is such a quick and easy meal that I make all the time. The trick to making this dish is timing; begin cooking the broccoli immediately after dropping the pasta noodles into the boiling water. Doing so will allow for a seamless transfer of perfectly cooked pasta from pot to pan. Overcooking the pasta or allowing it to dry-out in a strainer because you are still doting over the broccoli is the quickest way to ruin the dish.
– 1 lb linguine
– 2 lb broccoli (2 or 3 crowns), cut into small florets
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
– 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
– 1 to 2 cups reserved pasta water
– Salt & pepper
– Olive oil
1. Prepare linguine according to package instructions
2. While the pasta is boiling, saute the broccoli in a large pan, over a medium flame, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cover with lid, allowing to steam several minutes more until bright green and tender.
3. Incorporate butter into broccoli, season to taste with salt & pepper.
4. Once pasta is done, drain (reserving 1 to 2 cups of the pasta water) and add to broccoli.
5. Toss together with thyme and parmesan cheese
6. Mix in the reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, to form a smooth sauce.
7. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!