This is a festive and easy cake to make for any occasion, but since it’s red, white, and blue… sure why not go ahead and call it an Independence Day Cake!
1 pound strawberries
1 pint blueberries
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Prepare the strawberries. Wash and pat dry with a towel. Core and slice half of the strawberries into thin slices lengthwise (about 1/8 inch thickness). Cut the rest of the strawberries in half lengthwise.
2. Make the whipped cream. In a large bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks just start to form. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not over-beat.
3. Assemble the cake. Using the whipped cream as “glue,” spread the bottoms of eight ladyfingers with a dollop of cream each and arrange them, sides adjacent, onto the serving platter. Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream over this bottom layer of ladyfingers, then evenly place a layer of the sliced strawberries over the cream. Build a second layer by “gluing” six more ladyfingers down, topped with another layer of cream and strawberries. Place the rest of the ladyfingers and cream to make the top layer, and finish off using the halved strawberries and blueberries.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the cake to meld together.
5. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!