I am a big fan of breakfast. It is, after all, the most important meal of the day. I know many of us are busiest in the morning with work, school, and kids, that breakfast is often overlooked. Just because you are awake and already fervourously working does not necessarily mean your body is on the same page with you. Eating a good breakfast jump-starts the metabolism, signaling it to come out of the rest/heal cycle (our bodies do slow down at night and cellular activity is redirected during this period). I am no doctor, but I really do believe properly “waking up” your body with breakfast makes for a stronger metabolism, and a healthier body.
One of my favorite breakfast foods is the egg. It is a great to have in the morning since it is low in fat, won’t weigh you down, and packs a good amount of protein to keep you fueled until the lunch hour. In this instance, by taking the classic scrambled egg and serving it in taco form gives your body the extra boosts of fiber (from the tortillas), lycopene, and vitamins A and C (from the tomato).
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1 small tomato, diced
2 tortillas, 6-inch taco size
1. Beat the eggs in small bowl with the scallions and a pinch of salt. In a small non-stick skillet over medium/low heat, cook the eggs; scramble them by stirring with a spatula as they cook.
2. Heat the tortillas in a microwave for 20 seconds so they will be easier to fold.
3. Divide the scrambled eggs between the tortillas, top with the diced tomatoes. Fold tortillas to make tacos.
4. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!
* This can be made in a burrito size too!