These mini-cakes are easy to make, quick to decorate, and always put a smile on one’s face. Not to mention: if you bring these to a party, some of those smiles will be for you!
Makes 24 cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce red food coloring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two muffin pans with baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and red food coloring until fully homogenized.
3. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until a smooth batter just forms. Do not over mix.
4. Evenly divide the batter among the muffin pans. Bake at 350F, rotating halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans to cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.
5. Prepare the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth, light, and fluffy.
6. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes with a standard sized star-tip, or spread with a small spatula.
7. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!