This light and delicate cookie is by far one of my favorites. They are crisp around the edges, and buttery soft in the middle. The lemon icing drizzled on top is a final touch of sweet refinement, giving this cookie a delightfully luxurious look. These are perfect to make for friends and loved ones; such a delectable treat would make any recipient feel special. Enjoy and be happy!
Makes 3 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powered sugar (for the icing)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla, egg, and lemon zest. Blend well.
3. Add flour, stir until a smooth, cohesive dough is formed.
4. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart onto an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake at 350 F for 7-10 minutes until cookie edges are golden brown.
6. Wasn’t that easy? Now go eat!
To make the icing:
In a small bowl, stir the lemon juice, one tablespoon at a time, into the powdered sugar until a thick icing is formed. Drizzle the icing onto the cookies after they have completely cooled. (I use a small squeeze bottle with a pointed tip.) Allow icing to set until firm.